Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pink Lemonade Anyone?

Being the thrifty gal that I am, I hate throwing perfectly good stuff away. [Okay, in keeping with the truth in blogfulness rule...maybe I should say...Being the pack-rat that I am, I hate throwing anything usable away.]

To give you the background on this...Bex has this little dehydration problem. Therefore, since she just will not drink water by itself, her loving mother buys lemonade mix for her. She WILL drink that and it keeps her from having one of those upchucking episodes that comes from dehydration.

So here's what happened a few weeks ago. Bex looks in the cabinet and since she had used up the previous jar of lemonade mix and NOT put it on the grocery list, she can't find any lemonade. Having the wonderful memory that I do, I say "Oh, I'm sure there is some pink lemonade mix in there." I know its there, I've seen it time and time again.

After pushing other things around a bit, Bex pulls out a container of pink lemonade mix. "Ummm...Mom, this is Sugar Free! Yuck!" Then her loving mother reminds her..."Would you rather drink that...or have an 'episode'?"

She starts looking at it and sees a coupon! Great! we love coupons!




Then she looks a little closer....





Sure enough... $5 off baseball apparel at JC Penney. Well, seeing "JC Penney" would have set off bells for me...because they only use "Penney's" now. Then, Bex read the expiration date. Can you see it? 12/31/94!!!!

No wonder I knew it was in the cabinet! I've been shoving it around for 15 years!!!! Apparently, nobody in my household likes the stuff!

So, now I know you're wondering..."Did you throw it away, Meggy-girl?"

Ummmm....no. She drank it.

Really! She drank it.

She complained the whole time about it being sugar-free...but she drank it.

So now you know: I'm either the thriftiest gal you know...or a child abuser... hmmmmmm..... she didn't have an "episode" and I can testify she lived! Pack-rats of the world...UNITE!

Stay tuned.

7 Click here to Comment!:

Kelley said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This gave me a REALLY good laugh! Partly because somebody in my family is the same way and there is NO telling how old the lemonade mix is at my parent's house. And partly because your poor daughter must really dislike water. Oh, thanks for the great laugh! I think I just burned off 30 calories.

Mar said...

wow, that lemonade expired when I was 13 years old. I can't get over the fact that she drank it.

Laura said...

Meggy, you need to replace that stuff for the well-being of your daughter. There's no telling what those chemicals have morphed into in 15 years!

MamaHen Em said...

That is so funny - and also the year AFTER I graduated High School! A lot has happened in fifteen years. Perhaps it's time to let it go :)!

Pat Weso said...

94 is the year I gave birth to Matt! And Kelley, just so YOU know, that stuff does NOT stay in our cabinet that long. We drink it (and I don't buy sugar free). Besides, we throw it out way before it's 15 years old ... what are you thinking????

♥Bex♥ said...

no wonder you remembered seeing it there, cause you'd seen it every time you opened the cabinet for 15 years!

And just for the record, you're a pack-rat and I'm a procrastinator. So, Procrastinators unite!...tomorrow. LOL!
Love you! ♥

CountryCrazy said...

OK you!!! I finally took the step from a "lurker" to a "commenter" and you are in for it now! Better be careful what you ask for sister! Love your blog and am back to checking it everyday. Love ya girl! -Stacey-