Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Beware of Garbage Trucks!

Since you folks seem to like these goldie-oldie e-mail posts, here's another. I always aim to please my loyal readers..."don't bore us by posting anything original...just thrill us with something somebody else wrote!"

Getting our perspective in check seems to be a problem for all of us; this great, old e-mail addresses this issue as well as yesterday's potato chip dancing. Once again, I don't know who wrote it...e-mails have a way of losing that information. If you know the author, let me know (because I REALLY don't, Princess!!!).

NEW INFO: This was written by David J. Pollay and you can go to his website here or type in www.bewareofgarbagetrucks.com. (Thanks, Lea!)



BEWARE OF GARBAGE TRUCKS


How often do you let other people's nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day? Unless you're the Terminator, for an instant you're probably set back on your heels. However, the mark of a successful person is how quickly she can get back her focus on what's important.

Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson. I learned it in the back of a New York City taxi cab. Here's what happened. I hopped in a taxi, and we took off for Grand Central Station. We were driving in the right lane when all of a sudden a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his breaks, skidded, and missed the other car's back end by just inches!

Here's what happened next. The driver of the other car, the guy who almost caused a big accident, whipped his head around and he started yelling bad words at us. How do I know? Ask any New Yorker, some words in New York come with a special face.

Now, here's what blew me away. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was friendly. So, I said, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!" And this is when my taxi driver told me what I now call, "The Law of the Garbage Truck."

Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it. And if you let them, they'll dump it on you.

When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally. You just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did. I guarantee it.

So this was it: The "Law of the Garbage Truck." I started thinking, how often do I let Garbage Trucks run right over me? And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people: at work, at home, on the streets? It was that day I said, "I'm not going to do it anymore."

I began to see garbage trucks. Like in the movie "The Sixth Sense," the little boy said, "I see Dead People." Well now "I see Garbage Trucks." I see the load they're carrying. I see them coming to drop it off. And like my Taxi Driver, I don't make it a personal thing; I just smile, wave, wish them well, and I move on.

One of my favorite Football players of all time, Walter Payton, did this every day on the football field. He would jump up as quickly as he hit the ground after being tackled. He never dwelled on a hit.

Payton was ready to make the next play his best. Good leaders know they have to be ready for their next meeting. Good parents know that they have to welcome their children home from school with hugs and kisses. Leaders and parents know that they have to be fully present, and at their best for the people they care about.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let Garbage Trucks take over their day. What about you? What would happen in your life, starting today, if you let more garbage trucks pass you by?

Here's my bet. You'll be happier. I guarantee it.


James 2:17 "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."




Stay tuned for more words of wisdom tomorrow!


8 Click here to Comment!:

Laura said...

I liked this one too! But let it be known that I adore your original posts. Don't think that we don't want to hear from you!

MamaHen Em said...

There really are some gems that make it through the email filter, aren't there? And the ending scripture? One of my favorites!

Unknown said...

Hm ......... good trash for thought. LOL

Anonymous said...

i googled "the law of the garbage truck" some guy (david pollay) has a whole website about it... the video is kind of cool.

http://www.bewareofgarbagetrucks.com/

Meg in Tally said...

I'm just wondering here...

DO YOU PEOPLE EVER SLEEP?

Goodness! I get up early this am to check my e-mail before going to work and WHAM! 4 comments already.

How do you do it?

Mamajil said...

this was good!!! :)

Kelley said...

I love it! What a great reminder to not let the negative attitude of another affect us.

Anonymous said...

hmmm...that's nice, but I have a big problem with this. Even though I know what I SHOULD do, it's sooo hard because I CANNOT STAND garbage trucks...especially when it comes to driving!

I LOVE YOU!