Sunday, September 14, 2008

Feeling Froggy, Anyone?

For today's Sunday Snapshot, I want to share just a glimpse of what you're missing not living in God's Country in the woods.

Out here in the woods at Lonesome Pine, it's not unusual to see a lot of wildlife. Observing snakes, turkeys, deer, rabbits, turtles, alligators, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, opossums and a plethora of strange insects are commonplace. But over the past week or so we've been watching what we consider a rare phenomenon--at least its the first time I've seen it since living here 20+ years. Each morning when we're headed out for the day, we've come across this scene.


This is our 'low' road that was flooded by Tropical Storm Fay. Follow that link and you will see pictures of this same road with the water at the top of the fence posts. Unbelievable, right?

Here's something else that we're finding unbelievable. Do you see all those little dots? It is NOT debris from the flooding. Take a closer look. Can you figure out what those little dots are?




Can you believe all those little 'dots' are thousands of teeny, tiny, frogs? FROGS!!! It's so weird! I wish I had taken a video of the process. All of these little frogs jumping on their way. It's quite a sight! They are all going the same way across the road. (Like those turtles at the beach --heading for the water.)

Apparently, they only do this in the mornings. By afternoon, all you see are those that have been smashed by cars and become road pizza. Yet, in the mornings they are out in droves --not just here on our road, but in several places along our path to town.

There has been a LOT of water around here and I can only think that is what is behind this barrage of frogs. Bex and I think it may be God's answer to the bazillion mosquitoes also birthed by all this water. Let's hope so. The mosquitoes are growing big enough to tote small children and pets.

GROW frogs, GROW!!!!

Stay tuned for more fascinating adventures from Lonesome Pine! {yeah, right!}

10 Click here to Comment!:

MamaHen Em said...

WOW! Both my Rooster and I are sitting here going, "WOW! How strange!" That is an amazing act of nature. I love the idea that they came along to help with the mosquito problem.

Don't you always feel just a bit sorry for the ones who don't make it across the road?

Mrs. Pittman said...

Do you feel a little like Pharoah?
If I were you I'd watch carefully in the coming days for locusts. And if the creek turns red..., well you better let the people go (or whatever God may be telling you.)

I'm not passing judgment. I'm just sharing my heart with you. sister to siter, dontcha know? :)

I couldnt muster up the energy to do your meme today, it being Sunday and all. I might tackle it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

incredible! my kids would LOVE that... i would be a bit squeamish....

Lori said...

I love your frogs. It would kill me though to drive along your road squishing them as I went.

Unknown said...

Ew. Too many frogs.

Kelley said...

Yeah, I have mixed feelings too. As cute as they are I'd feel terrible driving down the road knowing I was sending lots of them to froggy-heaven.

Meg in Tally said...

These froggies are so small you don't even hear the 'POP' as they get smushed beneath your tires...LOL!!

I don't particularly relish the idea of smushing all these little creatures...but what 'ya gonna do?

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

Um. Me. Frogs. Notsomuch.

Anonymous said...

wow! They're almost extinct!! There's only a few left! They better put them frogs on the endangered list!

Mamajil said...

My boys would be in HEAVEN! I must say I've never seen so many frogs altogether!