Sunday, September 7, 2008

Snapshot Sunday

Since my theme for "September to Remember" seems to be dragging out old photo's, I thought I would continue today with a photo from 1967 --yeah, way back when!

Do you remember 'Cousin' photo's? These were photo's taken when everyone gathers at Grandma's house and one of the mom's suddenly realizes the moment should be recorded for posterity while all the cousins are together. Every mom grabs her camera and all the children are herded into the "Portrait Area" --and you end up sitting there for about 2.5 hours. At least it seemed that long--cutting into our play time! So much time spent waiting on everybody to get situated so their faces can be seen, then you wait because Cousin Id had their eyes closed, or Cousin Bud wasn't looking at the camera or Aunt Susie's camera isn't working for some reason...or whatever. You remember those days, don't you?

So here's the picture... This was taken at Christmas in 1967 as we visited my mother's family in Southern Illinois. I don't remember any other Christmas's spent with that side of the family. So I guess this WAS a special occasion. Can you figure out which one is me?



These were the Illinois cousins I grew up with. There are a few more now...but they came later --some MUCH later. My Mom and the other two of her oldest siblings each had four children. So here are 3 sets of four with Preston (middle front row) added in to the mix. Preston now has a sister and a brother. My mom also had 2 younger brothers (teenagers at the time of this picture) who each have two children very close to the ages of my brothers' children. Both my Mom AND Dad grew up in families with six children. I miss that big ol' family!

In case you didn't figure it out --or have me mixed up with my braided cousin, Leanna, I'm the bored one with the pink outfit in the front row and the oh, so fashionable headband keeping the hair out of my face--my mom was always saying "Get your hair out of your face!" If you could see me standing up, you would see that my pink corduroy pants had a huge bleach stain on my right hip. I wore them anyway, they were hand-me-downs from my Illinois cousins and I loved them!

The young man on his knees directly behind me is my very attentive, obedient brother Randy who appears to have his eyes glued open so he wouldn't have them shut for the picture!

My little brother, Alan is to Randy's right with the gray/white striped sweater. He wouldn't, in a million years, wear a sweater like that again! He does look kind of dorky! Teeheehee!

My oldest brother, Chuck, is in the back row with his eyes closed. He must have been entertaining because Cousin Ron is looking at him.

So there is one of my favorite 'Cousin' pictures. I'm so glad all the Mom's took the time and endured the headache to take it. Those were the good old days!

Stay Tuned!

7 Click here to Comment!:

Kelley said...

Ah, yes...I remember several cousin pictures! Although I have to say that they weren't WAY back then when your cousin picture was taken...that was 13 years before I was born...haha...

Meg in Tally said...

I used to LIKE you, Kelley! You really didn't have to the take the time to point out that I'm OLD!!! My birthday the other day reminded me very clearly of that fact.

But I'm resigned to it. I really, truly would NEVER want to go back and try it again!

Anonymous said...

aaah, the cousins photos. i had no cousins so i don't remember having to sit for them... but now that my kids have LOTS of cousins, i am the one behind the lens and no photo ever is taken where they ALL look good. i just try to show the ones where at least 2 of my 3 kids look good.

Laura said...

I'm still waiting for the photos of all the cousins and the cousins' children (1st cousins once removed? or something like that) from our family reunion on the Road Trip. If I get them, I will certainly post them.

MamaHen Em said...

What a great photo! I am the auntie who currently forces the kids into cousin pictures! Someday in the future, one of them will be able to write exactly what you wrote!

Unknown said...

Our summer vacations were spent in a cottage at Indian Pass Beach every summer with our 5 cousins from Apalachicola. We had the BEST time. Two weeks. The ONLY time of the year we were allowed sodas and we were allowed TWO per day. Yes, they were "check" brand -- but did we care? Heck no! Two a day! Wahoo. (Do I get point for that memory?)

Mamajil said...

COUSIN PICTURES!!!! I love cousin pictures! I need to drag out some of mine for the Remember in September!
I love reading your posts they are so fun!